Dry Eye Relief from Your El Paso Eye Doctor
For an individual experiencing a dry eye problem, everyday activities can become difficult to even undertake. This is because dry eyes are often the source of significant discomfort. Fortunately, our El Paso eye doctor can offer a variety of therapeutic options for patients who visit our University Vision Centre practice.
Causes and Symptoms of Dry Eyes
Our doctor of optometry notes that dry eyes are the result of either an insufficient quantity of tears or problems with the quality of tears. They actually occur much more often than many patients realize. In fact, a majority of individuals who are past 65 experience one or more symptoms.
Additional predisposing factors include exposure to specific environmental conditions, taking certain medications, being female, and having medical conditions such as diabetes. Surgery to correct refractive problems and wearing contact lenses for years are also risk factors.
Typically, symptoms occur in both eyes. The most common include:
- A sensation of tired eyes
- Red eyes
- Blurred vision
- Eye stinging, burning, or scratchiness
- Strings of mucus inside or surrounding the eyes
- Sensitivity to light
- Excessive watering of the eyes
- The difficulty with night driving
- A sensation that a foreign body has lodged in the eye
- Difficulty wearing contacts
Dry Eye Treatment from Our Optometrist
Our optometrist notes that successful treatment of a dry eye problem requires both professional expertise and patient self-care. A treatment plan addresses four goals:
- Addition of tears via artificial products sold over the counter
- Retaining tears naturally produced by closing tear ducts or plugging them
- Reducing inflammation of eyelids or the surface of the eye via prescribed cleansers, ointments, or drops
- Increasing tear production with prescribed eye drops or an omega-3 fatty acid supplement, or a combination of both
There is a great deal patient can do at home to reduce the discomfort linked to dry eyes. Drinking a sufficient amount of water and wearing sunglasses outside is important. When viewing the screen of an electronic device for a long time, an individual should take frequent opportunities to look away. Using any nutritional supplements recommended by our practice and boosting the level of humidity at home are both helpful. Following the daily plan recommended by our El Paso eye doctor for cleaning and using warm compresses can greatly increase comfort.
Schedule an Exam with Our Optometrist At University Vision Centre!
Don’t let dry eyes rob you of your favorite activities. Be sure to call our University Vision Centre optometry practice today at 915-533-1811 to schedule an exam with our El Paso optometrist. We have four doctors on staff to take care of all your optometric needs and make sure you experience the best vision possible.